If you are a new immigrant to our beautiful coast communities Maria Giltrow, Settlement and Outreach Coordinator with our Welcoming Communities project is someone you will want to get to know. Maria came to the coast from Argentina in 2005 and has first-hand knowledge of the many difficulties newcomers face when immigrating to Canada.
Welcoming Communities is funded by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), with funding from the BC Ministry of Jobs, Tourism and Skills Training. The project is a partnership of Capilano University and Sunshine Coast Community Services Society, and other community partners.
- One-on-one and group support
- Settlement services – information and referrals on government services such as health and taxes
- Orientation sessions for newcomers – banking, libraries, childcare, the law
- Advocacy for the needs of immigrants and newcomers
- Cultural awareness for local businesses, organizations and agencies