What the program offers:
SCD is a community based program that offers services to children from birth to 12 years of age that require extra support in child care settings, and if necessary SCD is able to provide support up to the age of 19 based on the needs of the child. The coordinator works collaboratively with other community professionals to bring together the support needed for your child to attend the child care setting that parents have chosen. The SCD program is based on three key principles:
Family Centered, Families are the experts in making decisions regarding their children and their choices are respected. They are seen as equal partners with the other community professionals who work together to promote the best quality child care for their children.
Inclusion, Inclusion is an overall philosophy that supports the right of all children of diverse abilities to actively participate in their communities and that all children are supported and valued.
Child Development, SCD ensures that all caregivers understand the abilities and challenges of each child in the setting and practice inclusiveness to promote the health, well-being, and optimal development of each child with a safe and nurturing environment among his/her peers.
What you can expect from the program:
- Assistance in finding a child care setting best suited the needs of your child
- Provide support required to ensure your child’s needs are being met at the child care setting, guided by the Family Centered Service Plan which is developed based on the family’s goals for the child
- Provide support for the parents and families
- Assist Daycare staff in developing strategies to help make your child’s daycare experience the best it can be
- An extensive resource lending library available to parents and caregivers that includes toys, books, videos and specialized equipment
How you can take part:
In order to receive this service your child will have to be referred to the program by you, other community care professionals, daycare/preschool or after school settings, one of Community Services’ Children’s programs or MCFD. Your permission is required for referral and there is no cost to you.
Please click on either one of the links below for referral forms to the program: